Saturday, August 23, 2008

Blogging: One step at a time


Ok, first of all let me start by saying you would not believe how easy it was to get a picture of angry muppets just by googling it.

Many of you (or any? not sure how many people actually care what I write about) are probably wondering why I named my blog "Nothing funnier than an angry muppet." There are many reasons why, so I'll let you pick your favorite:

1. I'm from the muppet generation. Most of my colleagues and friends grew up with these lovable creatures in one form or another - Sesame Street, The Muppet Show, Fraggle Rock, Pinwheel (yeah, I'm old school!) - between the 70's and early 80's, it was nearly impossible not to stumble upon a muppet when you turned on the TV. These loveable creatures were such a prevalent part of my formative years that I couldn't help but wax nostalgic.

2. It really describes my sense of humor. Usually the more random something is, the more humorous I find it to be. What could possibly be more random than an angry muppet? Muppets are affable harmless creatures who at best got annoyed at one another (think Bert with Ernie), but never angry.

3. It was a piece of advice I gave a woman on a message board once, when she was upset over customers calling her and cursing her out, even though the customers weren't really mad at her, but at someone or something else in the company. I encouraged her to picture her customers as angry muppets - it's hard to take the yelling personally when you visualize the person on the other line as a mop-haired, sometimes googly-eyed, flop-headed muppet.

You're laughing, aren't you? If you're not, you should have your head examined. :-P

I've never been one to journal, but I decided to give blogging another try. I started earlier this year with a weight loss blog, but that quickly got tedious and restricted my subject matter too much. I decided I would be much more likely to keep up with a blog with no specific form or function other than to serve as an outlet for my random thoughts.

So there you have it, folks. A little insight into my sense of humor. Now you'll forgive me if I blog about the most random ideas or events and laugh at myself. Who knows - maybe you'll laugh with me. After all, doesn't the saying go "Who can you laugh at if you can't laugh at yourself?"

No comments: